The Five Rivers bike trail
A wide circular trail between Nuremberg and Regensburg, among rivers and channels
This relaxing and easy tour on bike path in Bavaria follows almost entirely some waterways. The trail crosses five rivers: Danube, Altmühl, Pegnitz, Vils and Naab river; two channels: Ludwig-Donau Main Kanal and Main-Donau Kanal; and some minors waterways. It is surrounded by woods and by the quiet countryside.
The trail starts off and finishes in Nuremberg, a city with a particular charm, even if mostly reconstructed after the Second World War. We will stop by in lovely villages, like Berching, which is enclosed in medieval walls; Kelheim, where we meet the Danube River and the old capital city: Amberg. Regensburg shows its beauty by the Danube: fascinating monuments and palaces from different periods have been saved from the bombings of the last big war. Its Steinerne Brücke (the stone bridge) is the oldest bridge in Germany and is an incredible medieval architectural work.
Our tour has some touch ups from the original Fünf Flüsse (five rivers) bike trail, and has a special variation: the visit to the Weltenburg monastery. This large house has been built on a peninsula on the Donaudurchbruch, where the river flows between high cliffs. There, in the shadow of big chestnut trees, we will taste the first quality bier they produce, and than take the ferry down the river till our hotel.
UNESCO World Heritage Site: the old city of Regensburg.
HOW TO BOOK
This tour was launched few years ago and has already taken place quite a few times, it is therefore well tested. We will propose it in the next years but it can be booked, upon demand, in 2013 as well. At the time being it is available only as a giuded tour, for small groups. In the future we will probably sell it as an individual tour, with no group leaders.
The price needs to be defined and it depends on the number of participants and on the kind of services needed.
The services offered in the previous tours, that can be reduced or increased, or personalized as customers wish, are as follow.
Foreseen services in our previous tours
- 7 nights with breakfast in three and three-s stars hotels.
- 7 three-course-dinners with typical local recipes, with one drink (1/4 liter wine or 1/2 liter beer), tap water and bread included.
- 6 packed lunches, which includes sandwiches, fruit, a dessert, water.
- 3 tour guides: 2 by bike and one driving the agency van.
- Visits (see the program).
- Ferry ticket for crossing the River and for a short tour.
- Agency van, which follows the whole tour in order to guarantee: the luggage transport service, the picnics for lunch and snacks and the availability and the assistance during the tour.
- Medical insurance, insurance in case of loosing the luggage and for the risk of tour cancelation.
- Color tour handbook with historical and artistic information, and information about the tour itself.
INFORMATION ABOUT THE BIKE TOUR
Duration: 8 days, 7 nights.
Period: to be defined; trip will take place upon small groups reservation.
Place: Germany (Bayern)
Tour description: The tour is a 6 days bike route with start and arrival in Nuremberg. The trail mostly tracks the German bike trail: Fünf Flüsse Fahrradweg, and has variations on alternative bike paths, or on secondary road with low car traffic. The road bank is mostly asphalt, with the exception of some short stretches of dirt road. The path is mostly flat with a few smooth up and downs.
PROGRAM OF THE BIKE TOUR
Independent travel with arrival in Nuremberg.
Nuremberg > Berching
About 70 km – flat path
Berching > Kelheim
About 60 km – flat path, with a facultative climb
Kelheim > Regensburg
About 40 km – flat path
Regensburg > Amberg
About 70 km – mostly flat path
Amberg > Lauf an der Peignitz
About 40 km – flat path
Lauf an der Peignitz > Nuremberg
About 30 km – flat path
Breakfast at the hotel, free day and independent way back home.